News & Notes

LSU Libraries’ Elaine Smyth to Retire

Posted in Announcements
Elaine Smyth's retirement reception

Elaine Smyth’s retirement reception

LSU Libraries’ assistant dean Elaine Smyth will retire on July 31 after more than 26 years of service to Louisiana State University.

After earning her Master of Librarianship degree in 1979 from the University of Washington, Seattle, Smyth began her career as a catalog librarian in the Department of Rare Books at Olin Library, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. In 1988 she came to the LSU Libraries as Head of the Manuscripts Processing Unit for the Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections in Special Collections. Since then she has held numerous curatorial and administrative positions in Special Collections and served as head of the division from 2006 to 2011. As curator, she built the collections significantly in the areas of 18th century British literature, book arts and the history of printing, and natural history, and added dozens of facsimiles of medieval manuscripts, which are used each year by hundreds of students.

In 2011 she assumed the role of assistant dean of Libraries, and in 2013 she was appointed interim dean. As interim dean, she was instrumental in developing LSU’s Quality Enhancement Plan, “LSU Discover,” and promoted development of an institutional repository. Under her leadership, the environmental control system in Hill Memorial Library was renovated, and a facilities master plan was developed for the Libraries.

Smyth has also been a key player in conceptualizing, writing, and administering grants to preserve irreplaceable library materials and to make the Libraries’ rare and unique holdings accessible to a much wider audience through digitization. Serving as project author, co-principal investigator, or grant writer, she has been involved in 16 successful grant projects benefitting the LSU Libraries that total over $1,340,000. At the national level, she has served frequently as a grant panelist for both the Institute for Museum and Library Services and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Smyth has published several articles, a bibliography of the Plain Wrapper Press, and contributed to two books on book arts. Between 1988 and 2009 she curated 18 exhibitions in Hill Memorial Library on topics ranging from the work of naturalist and artist John J. Audubon to the writings of Andrei Codrescu. She has been sought after for conference presentations and panel discussions and as a guest lecturer in various workshops, training sessions, and university classes.

At the university level, Smyth served on the Faculty Senate and several Faculty Senate Committees, and was elected to the Library Faculty Policy Committee four times.

Smyth is not only a leader on campus but also at the state and national levels. She has long been a member of and recently chaired the Louisiana Advisory Council for the State Documents Depository Program, through which she contributed to the effort to preserve and provide access to state documents. As interim dean, she served on the LALINC executive board, working with LOUIS staff to improve library services to LSU and other academic libraries in the state. Nationally, she has held multiple offices and committee positions in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries. Among these were section chair (2005) and head of local arrangements for the group’s 2011 meeting, which was held in Baton Rouge and attended by librarians from all over the United States and Canada.

The Louisiana Library Association recognized Ms. Smyth in 2014 by awarding her the Outstanding Academic Librarian Award. In 2000 she was awarded the D.W. Schneider Library Faculty Merit Award for excellence in job performance.

During her time at the LSU Libraries, Smyth mentored librarians at LSU and throughout the state, built the Libraries’ collections and services, and advanced the Libraries’ mission at LSU. Please join us in acknowledging Elaine Smyth’s success and in wishing her well in her retirement, which we hope will be as bright as the future she helped shape for the LSU Libraries.

Paul Hrycaj is a Research & Instruction Librarian at the LSU Libraries.

Posted in Announcements

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24



  • Bird's-Eye History: 17th-Century French City Views
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    Just because people 400 years ago didn't have the interactive mapping tools that we have today doesn’t mean they didn't know what faraway places looked like. By the 1600s, several large collections...
You are protected by wp-dephorm: