News & Notes

Phi Beta Kappa Writing Internships

Posted in Announcements

The national office of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest honor society, is looking for participants for its writing internship program for students at colleges and universities with Phi Beta Kappa chapters. The internships are open to juniors and seniors, and they involve a commitment to participate over spring and summer 2013. The intern positions will be unpaid, but students will gain valuable experience working as writers for a nationally recognized institution located in Washington, D.C., and publication of their work by Phi Beta Kappa.

For this program, Phi Beta Kappa seeks students with the following characteristics/abilities:

• Major in the liberal arts or sciences
• Possess strong writing and editing skills, ability to meet deadlines
• Cover diverse topics and report on events of interest to Phi Beta Kappa and its members
• Conduct independent research, including interviews
• Make a two-semester commitment to the program and produce six stories (500-700 words each)

Interested students should complete the form at http://tinyurl.com/lsupbkintern and submit it and two letters of recommendation to Tara Laver, Secretary of LSU Phi Beta Kappa, by October 19. The chapter officers will review the applications and submit recommendations to Phi Beta Kappa. The national office will then contact those who are recommended to discuss the program and to request writing samples, if they are candidates for an internship. Recommendation by the LSU chapter does not imply students will be invited to join Phi Beta Kappa.

Please contact Laver with any questions, tzachar@lsu.edu or 225-578-6546.

Sigrid Kelsey is the Director of Library Communications and Publications at the LSU Libraries.

Posted in Announcements

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24



  • Bird's-Eye History: 17th-Century French City Views
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    Just because people 400 years ago didn't have the interactive mapping tools that we have today doesn’t mean they didn't know what faraway places looked like. By the 1600s, several large collections...
You are protected by wp-dephorm: