News & Notes

LSU Libraries’ Faye Phillips to Retire

Posted in Announcements, People

LSU Libraries’ Associate Dean Faye Phillips will retire at the end of January, after twenty-six years of service to the university.

Phillips’ prestigious career began in 1972, when she joined the staff of the Georgia State University archives department within the University Library.  Since then, Phillips has worked as an archivist or librarian at the Atlanta History Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Troup County Georgia Archives, the National Archives and Records Administration, the United States Senate, and finally, LSU, where she found a place she wanted to settle.

Library Colleagues (l to r) Mona Jarreau, Linda Smith Griffin, Faye Phillips, and Anitra Carter

Phillips received an MA in American History from Georgia State University and her library degree from UNC Chapel Hill.  In 1983, she was the first archivist/director of the first county archives in Georgia, and along with the Georgia State Archives and others, she worked to establish the guidelines for future county archives.  When she came to LSU, she worked with Louisiana’s senators to bring their congressional papers to the LSU Libraries and wrote a book about the management of congressional collections.   Also, with the great help of Elaine Smyth, Judy Bolton, Luana Henderson, Anne Smith, Sheila Lee, Sissy Albertine, Don Morrison, and others, significant improvements were made in the cataloging, care and management of the LSU Libraries Special Collections.

The LSU Libraries has changed quite a lot since 1986.  When Faye arrived at LSU in 1986, the Libraries had just automated its catalog, and it was called LOLA.  It was not until 1990 that the Special Collections department received one PC for all staff members to use!

Faye states that it has been an honor to work with all the great staff and faculty, and that much of the time it, has been rewarding and fun. She plans on staying in Baton Rouge and conducting research at the LSU Libraries Special Collections.  She just finished writing a book, Baton Rouge Cemeteries, to be published by Arcadia Publishing this spring, and her next project is a history of West Baton Rouge Parish to be published in the fall. Her current reading list includes lots of local history for her research.

Phillips will be working for herself, and hopes that everyone will stay in touch.  Her new contact information is Faye Phillips, V F Phillips Consulting, vfphillipsco@gmail.com

Congratulations and best wishes, Faye!

Sigrid Kelsey is the Director of Library Communications and Publications at the LSU Libraries.

Posted in Announcements, People

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24



  • Bird's-Eye History: 17th-Century French City Views
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    Just because people 400 years ago didn't have the interactive mapping tools that we have today doesn’t mean they didn't know what faraway places looked like. By the 1600s, several large collections...
You are protected by wp-dephorm: