News & Notes

Birds of a Feather

Posted in Events, Special Collections Tagged with:

On Saturday, January 23, 2010, some 150 visitors happily flocked together to welcome home the elephant folio first edition of John James Audubon’s Birds of America. The viewing celebrated the successful completion of more than a year of painstaking conservation work to restore and preserve this treasure, funded by a major grant from the Coypu Foundation.

Curator Elaine Smyth answers questions while visitors view volume three

Curator Elaine Smyth answers questions while visitors view volume three

The Libraries held the last Audubon Day in 2007, when it was determined that the four volumes could no longer be shown safely due to structural damage to the bindings and other problems with individual plates. In 2008, the Coypu Foundation made a donation of $99,000 to enable conservation of this work by Etherington Conservation Services. The work was completed and the final volume returned to the library of December 28, 2009. Both visitors and staff thoroughly enjoyed the “welcome home” event!

Visitors look on while staff member Christina Riquelmy turns the pages of volume one. Volumes two, three, and four are being shown in the background.

Staff member Sarah Ferstel (right) pauses so that visitors can admire the white pelican depicted in volume 4.

Staff member Sarah Ferstel (right) pauses so that visitors can admire the white pelican depicted in volume 4.

Danny Heitman, author of A Summer of Birds: John James Audubon at Oakley House (LSU Press, 2008), visits with staff member Anne Smith, between book signings.

Danny Heitman, author of A Summer of Birds: John James Audubon at Oakley House (LSU Press, 2008), visits with staff member Anne Smith, between book signings.

 

Posted in Events, Special Collections Tagged with:

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24



  • Bird's-Eye History: 17th-Century French City Views
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    Just because people 400 years ago didn't have the interactive mapping tools that we have today doesn’t mean they didn't know what faraway places looked like. By the 1600s, several large collections...
You are protected by wp-dephorm: