News & Notes

From Capitol Hill to Hill Memorial

Posted in Exhibitions, Special Collections

blog5

“I’m just a bill, sitting here on Capitol Hill….” Many of us remember that ditty from School House Rock, and exhibit goers can see those bills come to life at LSU’s own Hill–Hill Memorial Library where Special Collections’ current display “Two Gentlemen from Louisiana: The Congressional Papers of Senators John B. Breaux and J. Bennett Johnston, Jr” is on view beginning September 8th.  

Named for the manner in which Congressmen address one another on the House and Senate floors, the exhibition marks the formal opening of Breaux’s papers to researchers. Documents and photographs highlighting Breaux and Johnston’s political careers and legislative accomplishments during their combined fifty-five years in Congress are on view.  A small sampling of items related to other members of Congress from Louisiana is also displayed. 

Breaux, a Democrat from Crowley, first represented the Seventh District of Louisiana in the U. S. House of Representatives, beginning in 1972, and held that position until his election to the U.S. Senate in 1986.  He left office in January 2005.  Johnston, a native of Shreveport and also a Democrat, was elected to the Senate in 1972 and served until his retirement in January 1997.  Learn more about their papers at http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/breaux.html and http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/findaid/politicalpapers/4473.inv.

Breaux and Johnston plan to be on hand at a reception to be held at Hill on October 9th at 3:00 in conjunction with a symposium hosted by the LSU Manship School of Mass Communication, at which the senators will speak.   The symposium is at 2:00 and will be held in the Holliday Forum of the Journalism Building.  For more information on the exhibition and related programs contact LSU Libraries’ Special Collections at (225) 578-6546 or visit the web site online at http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special.

Images:
Left: Representative Breaux talking with a farmer, ca. 1975.

Right: Senator Johnston addressing Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Dinner as chair of the committee, 1975.

 

Exhibitions Coordinator, LSU Libraries Special Collections http://exhibitions.blogs.lib.lsu.edu

Posted in Exhibitions, Special Collections

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24



  • Bird's-Eye History: 17th-Century French City Views
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    Just because people 400 years ago didn't have the interactive mapping tools that we have today doesn’t mean they didn't know what faraway places looked like. By the 1600s, several large collections...
You are protected by wp-dephorm: