News & Notes

Meet our Faculty: Tara Laver

Posted in People, Special Collections
Tara Laver with donor L.P.Bordelon

Tara Laver with donor L.P.Bordelon

Tara Laver likes to tell people she gets to read other people’s letters and diaries for a living. As Curator of Manuscripts in the LSU Libraries Special Collections, that is part of her job. Whether it’s the diary of a young woman experiencing the Civil War in her Louisiana hometown, a government official writing in 1805 from Natchitoches on the then-U.S. frontier, or an LSU cadet describing college life in 1912, it’s documents like these, which tell the stories of people and their times, that hooked Laver on becoming an archivist.

Her current research project reflects this interest. Laver is editing for publication the diary of Eliza Magruder (1803-1876), an unmarried native of Maryland who moved to her aunt and uncle’s cotton plantation outside of Natchez, Mississippi, after her father died bankrupt. The diary spans 1846-1857, with some interruptions, and records the day to day life of Eliza and her aunt; their interaction with and attitudes about the slaves on the plantation; their intellectual, social, and church life; the extended familial and geographic community of which they were a part; the role Eliza played on the plantation and in the community as a caregiver; and her place in society as a dependent, unmarried woman.

As Curator of Manuscripts, Laver is responsible for acquiring new collections of historical documents or manuscripts for the Libraries’ Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections, a research collection comprised of published and unpublished materials about Louisiana and the geographic region surrounding the lower Mississippi River. She works with families, organizations, and individuals to secure donations of collections, as well as with manuscript dealers to acquire materials through purchase. She also oversees how those materials are processed, cataloged, and preserved once they are received so that patrons can access them. In addition, Laver has responsibility for the University Archives, the records of LSU that have long-term historic or administrative value, presents orientation and instruction sessions about how to do research in Special Collections, provides reference assistance to patrons, and participates in the overall management of Special Collections as a department head. Her favorite aspects of the work are discovering new and interesting materials in the collections, meeting donors and hearing their stories, and helping undergraduates learn about and use the unique holdings in Hill Memorial Library.

A native of Sulphur, La., Laver earned a B.A. with a double major in history and broadcast journalism and an MLIS from LSU, where she also took graduate courses in American history. Her first position was as archivist at Delta State University in Cleveland, Miss. She returned to LSU in her current capacity in 2000.

Sigrid Kelsey is the Director of Library Communications and Publications at the LSU Libraries.

Posted in People, Special Collections
One comment on “Meet our Faculty: Tara Laver
  1. Chuck Bordelon says:

    Two great people!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Special Collections

Public Services Desk: (225) 578-6544


Reference Desk: (225) 578-6568


Fax: (225) 578-9425


Email: special@lsu.edu


Reference via e-mail



RSS Feed
 RSS - Special Collections Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other subscribers

Special Collections Hours

Special Collections on Twitter: @whatintheHill

Special Collections on Facebook: LSUspecialcollections

  • Our second "Afternoon in the Archives" will be on Feb. 3 & 4. Stop by and view some materials from our exciting historical collections and talk with us about how we can be part of your teaching, learning, and research!


    Let Nature Be Your Guide: Graphic Design of the Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau Movements
    news.blogs.lib.lsu.edu
    The nineteenth century gave us the wonders of the Industrial Revolution, but also ugly urban landscapes and soulless mechanization. By the end of the century, designers such as William Morris, Euge...
  • Stop by the West Baton Rouge Museum to visit their new exhibit "Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard," featuring documents and images from Special Collections related to these black troops' experiences at the Battle of Port Hudson.


    Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard: January 17 through March 20
    westbatonrougemuseum.com
    The West Baton Rouge Museum hosts Brave Steps: The Louisiana Native Guard, which opens January 17, 2015 and runs through to March 22, 2015 to help ma...
  • #TBT Today’s image is Jacob Schlessinger’s Chain Survey of the University Campus completed in January of 1908. Schlessinger was a sophomore from Avoyelles Parish majoring in civil engineering. Chain surveys were used to establish horizontal distances along compass sightlines in surveying land for legal and commercial purposes. One chain equals 66 feet and consists of 100 links measuring 7.92 inches each, or .66 feet.

    For those who may not know, the “University Campus” was located in downtown Baton Rouge on the grounds where the new state capitol stands today. This was LSU’s home from 1887 to 1925, although the move to our present campus wasn’t completed until 1931 because some University functions continued to take place here. Several of the buildings including the Pentagon Barracks made up the United States Military Post from the 1820s to 1861 when it was seized by Confederate forces at the beginning of the Civil War. Federal forces reclaimed the post in 1862 and after the war it was used sparingly by the US Army. In 1884, the state of Louisiana was granted the right to use the post and it was turned over to LSU. Most of the buildings on the east side of University Avenue (now North Third Street) were torn down between 1930 and 1934 to make way for the capitol grounds. The Pentagon Barracks and the arsenal (not shown on this map) are the only buildings that survived.

    Source: Office of Facility Services Records, RG # A0204, Louisiana State University Archives, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, LA. This and other maps of campus can be found in the LSU University Archives Print Materials Collection in the Louisiana Digital Library: http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p120701coll24


You are protected by wp-dephorm: